Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Language

One of my college classes is a beginning Japanese class. I've taken it in hopes to become fluent in the language eventually for a future career.

I had taken such a class before, but went through some trouble in my second semester of my first year of college, and such decided to just start over. Its a nice refresher and I'm a lot more motivated to do work now.

Anyway, I hate when people are in a beginner language class and feel the need to show off that they know more of the language than the class's absolute beginners. When everyone in the class is asked to speak in a certain pattern, some students feel the need to extend the pattern so it is more advanced, to get the teacher's attention and to effectively put down the other kids in the class. "I bet you didn't understand what I just said!" is what I get from such a situation.

In my first Japanese class's syllabus, it reads that if you are an advanced student, you should not make yourself extremely obvious. Blend in with the rest of the class, answer questions as normal. Language classes are often uncomfortable enough as it is; the teacher often says things that the beginners won't understand, and does not explain them. That's part of the learning process. Eventually you begin to understand what the teacher is saying to his/herself and become more comfortable in that environment.

Speaking of class, I have that in an hour. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment